Virginia law now requires written disclosure of the relationship between a consumer and his or her real estate agent. While some consumers may opt to remain unrepresented, there are clear and distinct advantages to having an Agent work on your behalf during your Alexandria VA real estate search.
When you, the buyer, decides it is time to take your Alexandria VA home search seriously and be represented by an agent, then you and the agent must enter into a written brokerage agreement which clearly spells out what your agent’s duties are to you.
In short, your agent is going to promote your best interests and maintain strict confidentiality of your personal and financial information.
Duties you can expect from your agent’s brokerage include:
1. Seeking property at a price and terms acceptable to you;
2. Assisting in the drafting and negotiating of offers and counter offers, as well as establishing strategies for accomplishing your objectives;
3. Providing reasonable assistance in helping you meet your contractual obligations and facilitating the settlement of the purchase contract;
4. Disclosing to you all material facts related to the property or the transaction;
5. Accounting for all money and property received in which you may have an interest.
Your agent is going to help you determine your buying power by referring you to reputable local lenders, provide objective information about properties, negotiate a myriad of factors related to your purchase, including, but not limited to, price, financing, terms, date of possession and often the inclusion or exclusion of repairs and furnishings or equipment.
Most of the work getting a buyer to a successful settlement begins after the contract is signed; this is when your agent really gets to work in promoting your best interests and making sure you get to a successful settlement.
Your agent can also to help you find qualified professionals to help with due diligence and inspections, insurance, movers and other real estate related services.
Finally, your agent is going to guide you through the closing process and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. It’s a lot of work buying a home and your agent is there to help you every step of the way.